Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Is It a Flash Mob? Nope, It's the CCU Cougars

Last summer, I got roped into being part of a hockey "flash mob" that was put on by a new local adult hockey website. The idea was to get a bunch of people together, and surprise two men's league's teams by going to their game, and making a bunch of noise like we were cheering for them. The concept was a ripoff of a Budweiser commercial that was very popular in Canada. Here it is if you've never seen it.



Anyway, I went, but it all seemed pretty artificial. There weren't enough people make very much noise, and I kind of resented the guy stealing a pretty cool idea. If you're smart enough to launch a new website, then be smart enough to come up with an original idea, right?

Well, last Sunday night I got to be part of something very similar, except this turned out to be the real deal. I got to live the experience of playing a game against a club team called the Cougars from Colorado Christian University. And it turned out to be one of favorite nights of hockey ever. Keep in mind I'm 54, so I've had many, many, many nights of hockey. And this is in the top five for sure.

I was called by one of my friends on Thursday, asking if I could substitute on his Sunday night team for their regular goalie. I get calls like this all the time, and I always try to help out if I can. I love getting the extra ice time.

So I showed up, met my new teammates, dressed and went out on the ice for warmups. Right before the game, my friend skated up and said, "I forgot to tell you- these guys have a pretty big rooting section. Just wanted to warn you in advance". I didn't think much of it- usually a big opposing rooting section means some dude's girlfriend yelling at me that I'm too old or too fat. I'd just do what I always do- point my stick at her, grab my crotch with my catching glove, and get on with the game. Oh, and more often than not, my team kicks her boyfriend's ass, so there.

But I wasn't ready for what happened next. About a hundred people walked into the rink, and they were fired up. I think they were keeping warm inside the lobby at the arena, because they all came in at one time, and started making a bunch of noise right from the opening faceoff. It was just like the clip above, except it was the genuine article.

Now, I had done some research before I played that night, because a) I like to see how good my opponent is, and b) I'm a giant stat dork. And I found that the Cougars had lost all seven of their games this season, and were a minus 44 on goal difference. I'll save you the math- they were losing by around six goals per game. But still, here were a hundred folks of all ages supporting their team. I normally don't impress easily, because I'm old and mostly dead inside, but I don't mind telling you, this was really cool.

So the game started, and I spent much of the first period trying to figure out how these kids could be a minus 44. They were all over my ass in the first ten minutes, and even scored the first goal on a deflection that I probably should have stopped. I was told it was the first time they'd led a game this season, and their fans went ape-shit.

We tied the game, and then went ahead right before the end of the period, but any thoughts of me having an easy night were out the window. When they leveled the game back up early in the second on a nice play in front of the net, these young people were feeling it, and so were the supporters.

And I couldn't help but smile. Because unlike most young teams I normally play against, these guys, and at least one girl, were exceptionally nice and polite. I chatted up the assistant captain, a great kid named Austin, before the start of the game, and he told me that the squad wasn't real good, but they concentrated on having fun. That's my kind of team right there. They were a real mixture of talent- they had three or four that could really play, maybe seven that were middle of the road, and a few that I could tell were just beginning their hockey careers. But they all got equal playing time, which doesn't always happen, and it was another reason I liked them so much.

During the second period, I covered the puck on the ice with my glove to stop play, and one excited CCU player came in late and smacked my glove pretty hard after the whistle, which is a big no-no in hockey circles. Just out of instinct, I jumped up and skated towards him to let him know not to do that any more, and he apologized. I think Reagan was president the last time anybody apologized to me for a late poke. Then I skated by their bench a few minutes later after a delayed penalty, and the same kid apologized again. I tapped him on the helmet with my glove, and skated back to my crease, shaking my head and laughing to myself.

We got a goal before the end of the second, and were holding on to a 3-2 lead heading to the last period. But my team was pretty tired- I think some of them had played earlier that day. So the teams went back and forth, but nobody could score, and it was still a one goal game very late.

Now the CCU fans were going nuts, because their kids had a real chance to tie the thing up. The Cougars pulled their goalie for an extra attacker, and we got some breathing room when we scored an empty netter to make it 4-2 with around 1:15 left.

But damned if they didn't get one right back about 15 seconds later, when a very good player named Andrew Raggio lazered one through the Eisenhower Tunnel that is my five-hole. I'll tell you what- when that puck went in, I've never heard an explosion like that since I've been playing hockey. Those terrific supporters about blew the roof off the Joy Burns Arena. 4-3, and there was still a minute left.

Now the fans were all up and chanting "CCU! CCU!". Honest to God, I got chills down the back of my neck. This was totally new for me, and I actually yelled out "Holy shit!", but nobody could hear me.

Then with about 15 seconds left, one of the Cougars chipped the puck past our defenseman, and broke in two-on-one with one of his teammates. I didn't think it was possible to get louder in there, but the CCU fans were in a freakin' frenzy. He ended up taking a shot that somehow found my glove, and I held it for a faceoff. When I looked to my left, I saw my Cougar buddy that had apologized earlier. He had a big smile on his face, and said, "Great save!".

Are you kidding me? Every other hockey player on Earth would have called me a lucky mother-you-know-what, but this terrific kid congratulates me. I'll admit it- there's a pretty big part of me that wishes that damn puck would have gone in. I would have loved to seen the reaction from their players and fans.

Anyway, we ran off the last few seconds, and held on to win the game by a goal. And while we were in the handshake line, their fans were all banging on the glass, and yelling "CCU! CCU!". As I skated past them on the way to the locker room, I banged my stick on the ice and pointed to them. Some of the people gave me a look like I was dissing them, but it was completely the opposite. I was just trying to say thanks. At my age, I'm very deep into the "back nine" of my playing career, and this is one game I'll always remember.

So now the Colorado Christian University Cougars have one more huge fan, as if they needed one. I'll be keeping an eye on the CCU Facebook page, hoping to read about their first win. Holy cow, would I like to be there when that happens. And if they ever need a broken down old goalie to sub, they can always call me.


Austin, I stole your picture of us- hope you don't mind

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir - this is truly a brilliant blog post. On behalf of the fans of CCU, I would like to thank you words - they carry some serious motivation. (And I know your blog post is floating around Facebook - so I'm sure the fans are getting even more fired up because of your post!) I know I go to the games hoping for a win, but I always come back because the games are seriously so fun. We love our hockey team!

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I honestly think that that was the best (and most fun) game our team has played! And it's thanks to your team. You guys were one of the most cordial teams we've played - and it's clear you guys know how to have fun too.

So once again - thank you so much. We will be sure to film our first winning game for you! And I'm sure the team would love to have a guy like you as a sub.

Keep playing and keep blogging -- you have a great and intriguing writing style and some impeccable grammar for a goalie. ;)

Unknown said...

I go to CCU as well, and this post gives some truly great motivation to a team that truly deserves it. Thank you so much for noticing and appreciating what makes us different.
We'll have you as a fan or a player anytime :)

Anonymous said...

Haha if anyone wants to find good hockey or any sport by that matter you will only find that the women's basketball team at CCU OK. I say OK because they won the christian d2 tournament last year, big whoop

I could care less about how hard you cheer as a crowd or if you believe there is some big man in the sky controlling your destiny with a book. I've never attended a university, school, or a played on a team that is less competitive than most of the guys at CCU, they play like a buncha' wimps!! especially the baseball players lol

Unknown said...

Allen,

This is such an encouraging thing to read. I was the one who joked with you before the game, and from that point on, I knew that the game was going to be so much fun.

Let me just tell you that while on campus today, I have not seen one person who hasn't said something along the lines of, "dude, I read that blog post from the goalie." I want you to know that you are SO very much respected on this campus and as Assistant Captain I can assure you that you will be called if we are short of our goalies. We are very glad that you appreciate the pride we take in simply the competition and not always the winning. I am a VERY competitive person, but this hockey team has been more fun than any team I've been apart of. We enjoy playing for our King and enjoy it more when people know why we play.

Austin

Rebekah McAlister said...

As a hockey noob, I of course know nothing of the terms, rules, or history. But I do know that hockey can be a rough sport, and I know that I leave every game so incredibly proud of the unity and integrity that our Cougars play with. It is so awesome to see that it gets noticed by others. It was a pleasure to play your team, and it'd be a pleasure to have you play with us. There's always a seat for you in our fan section as well, no doubt about it. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

awesome job Al!

benjamin haley said...

I graduated from CCU about 7 years ago...and have a few of these awesome folks at my church every week. They are a great crew, and this was one fine blog post!

Enjoyed every word, and laughed out loud a few times...

Kristine Ives said...

As another CCU grad from a few years back I appreciate your words and love hearing about teams that play with humility and grace. My son is 13 and I see so much hostility and bad sportsmanship from not only the kids but the parents as well. It is great to have role models such as all of you for our young athletes.

Peter D said...

That's some fine story telling! Your post made me smile. I graduated from CCU in 2004 and was never too proud of the sports scene there (although we held our own in ultimate frisbee way back when), but I remember the women's volleyball team having a great cheering section and being above reproach with their sportsmanship.

msully9999 said...

I play on The Old Dawgs with Al and he is a great guy and talented writer. Proud to play with him. Come to an Old Dawgs game and cheer for him. No one has ever done that before

Anonymous said...

Great post Al, and great comments from all you Cougar fans. Al's a great friend and teammate and I'm glad you all got to see what a good man he is. Al's also an integral part of local charity called "Dawg Nation Hockey Foundation", check it out sometime, I think you'll be impressed. Al and this group unselfishly helps adult hockey players in times of need. In fact Al will be at the Friday night Cutthroat game surprising a gentleman with a big check that recently underwent heart surgery. The Dawg Father

Josette said...

My friends and I were a part of those crazy yelling kids that night, and we just gotta say that we're grateful for a post like this! We haven't had the most stellar season - and we've had some teams who did NOT appreciate the cheering section - but like you said, the players are out there for the love of the game, and we're there for the love of our friends. And for a hockey vet like you to recognize our guys and gals? Made this little hockey fan's heart glow a lil bit. If you're ever around, come hang out with us for a game - trust me, we'll ALL make you feel welcome!
P.S. Post on the facebook page if you sub again, and we'll come cheer just as loud!

-Jo, another CCU kid

SFG said...

Jo, now I see why some of your crowd gave me the stink eye when I was banging my stick, saluting you after the game. You've probably gotten a bad time from some of the boneheads in the league that don't get how great you guys are. Don't you guys ever stop- it's the best thing ever. And wait 'til you get that first win- I'll hear you all the way up here in Arvada. And if I'm not there- you better have someone with a video phone.

I'm planning on coming down and sitting with you maniacs real soon- it'll make for a great follow up article!