Friday, January 6, 2012

A Little Love From Lockwood

So I checked my email yesterday, and there was a nice note from a guy named Justin Lockwood. In case you're not sure who he is, Justin is the play-by-play radio announcer for Newcastle United in the English Premier League. He also would be the guy that's going bat-shit in the YouTube clip that's right below this article. If you haven't checked it out yet, please be sure to do so before you leave.

His call on the goal that brought his Magpies side back from a 4-0 deficit in the second half to tie Arsenal is absolutely epic. For me, it's right up there with Al Michaels' "Do you believe in miracles?" call from the 1980 Winter Olympics. In that 47 seconds, Justin completely captures the passion of English football, and how much it means to those people. To borrow an English phrase, it's just fucking brilliant.



I've watched sports in the United States all my life, and there are no fans in any sport here that compare to English and European football fans. And if you happen to have a match that features teams from the same region, or what they call a "derby" (pronounced darby), you can ratchet up the fan intensity tenfold. The Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is a love fest compared to Manchester United/Manchester City, Tottenham/Arsenal, and Newcastle/Sunderland. And that's just England- you should see a Real Madrid/Barcelona match in Spain, or a Rangers/Celtic game in Scotland. It's insane- there is nothing here that's even close.

Anyway, I was completely shocked and flattered when Justin sent the email, just to say hello and thank me for putting the clip up on my blogsite. And I have absolutely no idea how he discovered that I posted it. I get lots of hits from other countries- it always baffles me why anyone would bother to read this shit. But I'm grateful for everyone that does, and hope that maybe I can make them chuckle every once in awhile.

So now I get to add the name of Justin Lockwood to the growing list of famous people that have read my blog and sent along a note. For your convenience, I've placed them in alphabetical order. The roster now includes:

Justin Lockwood

Okay, it's not growing that quickly. I guess all the other celebrities are shy.

No comments: